When to Self-Quarantine?
14-Day Self-Quarantine Recommendations for All Students, Faculty and Staff
Depending on your travel history, you will be asked to stay home for a period of 14 days from the time you left an area with widespread or ongoing community spread (Level 3 Travel Health Notice).
► Illness & Exposure
Anyone who has been exposed to a suspected or confirmed carrier of the COVID-19 virus or has been diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus should remain off school grounds for 14 days of self-quarantine. If you have flu like symptoms, we do not ask that you self-quarantine, but we do request that you remain off school grounds until the symptoms have retreated or you have received medical clearance.
What Does it Mean to Self-Quarantine?
If you are asked to self-quarantine you should stay home — in your room, your apartment, or your house. Do not go to work, classes, athletic events, or other social gatherings until 14 days after the date of your exposure to the virus either from a Level 3 country or from a person that tested positive for coronavirus.
Follow these guidelines for self-quarantine:
- Report any symptoms of COVID-19 immediately to your health care provider
- Stay in your room, apartment or house.
- Limit contact with other people as much as possible. This includes isolating yourself as much as possible from anyone living in your residence.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with your upper arm or a tissue. Never cough in the direction of someone else.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, or use alcohol-based hand rubs after coughing or sneezing or throwing a used tissue in the garbage.
- Avoid sharing household items. Do not share drinking glasses, towels, eating utensils, bedding, or any other items until you are no longer asked to self-quarantine.
- Keep your surroundings clean. The virus is not spread very well from contact with soiled household surfaces, but you should clean surfaces that you share with others, such as door knobs, telephones, and bathroom surfaces (or any other object that you sneeze or cough on), with a standard household disinfectant such as Clorox wipes. Wash your hands after cleaning the area.
How to Report Your Absence
The student, or the student’s parent/guardian should contact the school’s absence line to report that the absence is due to self-quarantine. A follow-up email message should be sent to the school principal or, at the high school, the appropriate Dean of Students. The administrator will inform the student’s teacher(s) to initiate communication between home and school.
Staff and teachers should contact their direct supervisor.