Take the HiSET Exam with Salem Continuing Education
Salem High School's Continuing Education program is an official test administration center and offers the Computer Based Test (CBT). Tests sessions fill quickly, please complete your registration at least 2 weeks in advance. Students must have a Government issued New Hampshire ID in order to test with Salem Continuing Education. School IDs are not acceptable means of an ID.
2023-2024 HiSET® Exam Schedule
Tests are scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday, starting at 3:00 pm
- September 26 & 28
- October 17 & 19
- December 12 & 14
- January 23 & 25
- March 19 & 21
- April 16 & 18
- May 28 & 30
- June 18 & 20
Registration for HiSET Testing
Testers self-register on the PSI website and select Salem Continuing Education Computer Based Test (CBT) as their test administration center. If a tester is under 18, see the age requirement information below.
- The first step is to create a student account on the PSI website: http://hiset.org. Please note your username, password, and account number. Your HiSET scores and record of test appointments will be available on this PSI portal.
- The second step is to use your PSI student portal to register and pay for the tests you are ready to take. You must pay for the test at the time you schedule it, CASH is not accepted. Accepted forms of payment include debit or credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, VISA and JCB).
- Tests can be taken one by one or the full battery of 5 subject tests can be taken in a two day test session. If taking the full battery/all 5 subject tests, please choose the 2-hour appointment for writing since this is the longest test (120 minutes).
- Testing begins at 3:00 pm. Please select the 3:00 appointment for your first test so that all testers can enter the classroom, receive instructions, and begin testing at once.
- Students can schedule online through their My HiSET account, or call PSI customer service at 1-855-MyHiSET or 1-855-694-4738
The minimum age to take the HiSET is 16. Students under the age of 18 must do the following:
1) obtain permission to test from their local high school
2) take the HiSET official practice tests in each subject to check preparedness for the official exam
3) if the student can show preparedness on the practice exams, a school district official must authorize a student to take the HiSET by signing the Request to Waive Age Requirement
If a student wishes to take the official practice tests with Salem Continuing Education, please call 603-893-7074 to schedule an appointment. There are 5 practice tests total, and the student may want to come in on two separate days. Cost: $25.
Salem Continuing Education’s Testing Schedule:
3:00-4:30 pm (choose any test, except writing)
4:30-6:00 pm (choose any test, except writing)
6:00-7:30 pm (choose any test, except writing)
3:00-5:00 pm (choose writing, or any test)
5:00-7:00 pm (choose writing, or any test)
How Long is Each HiSET Exam?
Reading: 65 minutes
Math: 90 minutes
Science: 80 minutes
Social Studies: 70 minutes
Writing: 120 minutes
Day of The HiSET Exam
- The HiSET exam is administered at Salem High School, 44 Geremonty Drive, Salem, NH 03079. Park on the side of the school in the After Hours Drop Off area, and enter the school through those doors. Continuing Education office is to the left, A162. Note: the front doors facing Geremonty Drive will be locked, so students need to use the side after hours entrance. Continuing Education: 603-893-7074.
- Please arrive 15 minutes in advance of the test start time and bring a government issued form of identification from New Hampshire (MA ID's will not be accepted). Your valid government issued ID is required to enter the test center and the name on your ID must match exactly the name used to register for the exam. School ID’s or credit/debit cards will not be accepted.
Cancelling or Rescheduling a HiSET
- If it is necessary to cancel or reschedule a HiSET due to illness or emergency, please make the change to your registration on your PSI portal before midnight on the evening prior to the test appointment.
- If a cancellation is necessary after midnight of the evening prior to the test appointment, please call PSI Customer Service at 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738); if you do not contact PSI Customer Service you will forfeit your testing fees and will need to pay to reschedule your tests.
- Please also call Salem Continuing Education at 603-893-7074 so we know you are unable to keep the appointment to test.
If you have a disability or health-related need and require testing accommodations, you may be required to request your accommodations through PSI before you can schedule an appointment. Please note that the approval process can take six weeks or more, so be sure to allow enough time before your desired test date. Some accommodations do not require pre-approval and can be requested upon test appointment arrival.
Some test takers with disabilities or who would otherwise have difficulty taking the test may utilize the following accommodations without prior approval:
• Transparent overlays (for paper-delivered testing only).
• Scratch paper (to be collected by test center personnel at end of testing session).
• Earplugs (not attached to any electronic device).
• Plain, unmarked straightedge to assist with keeping place while reading. You may use a piece of scrap paper for this purpose, but it must be returned at the end of the testing session.
• Handheld nonelectronic magnifying device (without memory or camera).
• Seat cushion/back pillow, or footstool. Item will be inspected by test center personnel before and after testing.
• Prescription medication. Must be in the prescription bottle with a label indicating your name, dosage, and directions.
• Service animals.
• Medical devices (e.g., asthma inhaler, hearing aid, pacemaker, insulin pump on vibrate or silent, oxygen tank, TENS stimulator).
• Highlighter or black felt pen for essays and scratch work only.
All other requests for accommodations must be approved in accordance with PSI’s policies and procedures and must be made online using the PSI Accommodations Request Form prior to scheduling